Believe it or not, the term “skinny jeans” does not mean that only skinny people can wear the jeans!
When you hear the word “Skinny,” 9 times out of 10, the phrase “plus size” may not enter your mind. This is because the terms “skinny” and “plus size” are opposites. In fact, you may very well think about a very petite person, with no curves at all, which may leave you wondering why many plus size stores carry “Skinny Jeans?” and if you should wear them at all.
Believe it or not, the term “skinny jeans” does not mean that only skinny people can wear the jeans. It’s a term use to describe the cut of the jean. Skinny jeans are narrow in the hips, legs, and ankles and many skinny jeans are made with a bit of spandex to enhance its stretching capabilities, which actually make them a perfect choice for plus size women.
Now, successfully rocking a pair of skinny jeans takes skill. You want to look classy, not trashy and you definitely do not want to be showing all the assy! And this is not only a warning for the plus size ladies but you skinny gals too. Now, I’ve seen some skinny girls looking a hot mess in a pair of skinny jeans, as well. I ain‘t gone point no fingers, but you definitely know who you are!
The basic of rocking a pair of fierce skinny jeans is simple, so read on to get the skinny on your skinny jeans:
- You should NEVER buy a pair of skinny jeans that is too big for you. The word is skinny, not baggy. The jeans should be snug.
- You should NEVER rock a pair of skinny jeans with a pair of tennis shoes and here is why– the ankles on skinny jeans are very tapered, which will make your size 7 tennis shoes look like a size 14 and if your name isn’t Jordan, then you have no business looking a hot mess!
- You should NEVER rock a pair of skinny jeans with a pair of flip-flops, swimming shoes (who does that, right) or penny loafers! Just because it’s comfortable, does not make it right!
Now, we’ve covered the don’t – here is what to do:
- Do wear your skinny jeans with a pair of FIERCE pumps (shakes one finger in the air)
- Do wear your skinny jeans with a pair of cay-jute flats or ballerina-inspired shoes.
- Do wear your skinny jeans with a pair of knee boots (the stripper kind works, as well) or a modern pair of cowboy boots.
Here’s are a few examples of how to rock a pair of skinny jeans (the right way) plus size or not. Enjoy!